Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Concealed Carry Deterrents - Hatch Duty Gloves For Carry - Silver Dollar Belly Bruise

****************************************************************************************************

It's a shame, but here in Illinois, how many people add up the $$$ ($500) for training + the time it takes to receive the license, add in the question of whether, after going through all that -  Can I carry where I want to go?  Can I carry at work?  Can I carry on public transportation?  Can I carry at the stores I like to go to?  The restaurants?

I think the fact the Liberal Democrats of Illinois drew up the legislation to make it as narrow as possible for Concealed carry, is the biggest deterrent to going through the process and paying the exorbitant amounts of money.

****************************************************************************************************

PG_HAT_SG20P_Dura-Thin%20Police%20SearchThis past winter I wanted to buy a pair of gloves that would allow my finger to engage the trigger without the trouble of thick, bulky materials.  I saw these Hatch Duty Gloves  (Hatch SG20P Dura-Thin Search Glove (Black, X-Large) written up in Concealed Carry magazine and figured I would give them a try.


I paid $22 for them thru Amazon ($29 from Hatch).  Using their (Hatch's) sizing chart, the palm of my hand comes out to 10".  According to the chart, this would be the big end of the Large size scale or the low end of the Xtra Large scale.  I opted for the Xtra Large as usually I buy leather dress gloves in the 2XL size, but figured these are made to fit tight.

I was right.

I'm 6'3" and I do have large hands, but I was able to get these on after a few seconds of pushing and tugging and boy do they fit tight!  Honestly, I'm not sure if they are supposed to be this tight or not, but they feel like a second skin.  The way the leather is cut makes the glove slightly uncomfortable as the leather presses into the webbing of my hand between the first and second finger (they are duty gloves, so I'm guessing the gloves are made this way so the leather is tight to your trigger finger), but I'm going to go ahead and wear them and see if they break in.

If you are outside for long periods, they aren't going to keep your hands warm , but for short walks, going to and from the car, walking the mall, they are just fine.

But do they allow you to get your finger on the trigger?  With my 1911, it's as though I don't have a glove on!  With my little Taurus TCP, the seam on the tip of the index finger just touches the trigger guard as I reach for the trigger, but still fits nicely, especially impressive with my gorilla hands.

They seem to be nicely made, look sharp, have a very soft interior and, other than the aforementioned cut of leather between the first and second fingers, are quite comfortable.  I also like the short cut of the glove at the wrist.  I've thought about ordering a pair of the 2XL just to compare and at the price I paid, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I think I will wear these for a week or so and see how they break in, before deciding to go with the larger pair.

(UPDATE)  These are nice gloves for concealed carry.  The upside?  feel great, fit tight and easy to get your finger on the trigger.  Downside?  They are not warm.  Only for short stretches outside.  Also, because the leather is soft, they tend to drag and grab inside of my topcoat.  I can't just slide my hand back inside my coat and grab my gun as the coat will hang on the gloves leather.

All in all, nice gloves, but as with anything we do for concealed carry, you must train with these gloves to make sure you won't have any surprises should a situation arise.

(UPDATE 3-3-2016)  Another winter with these gloves and no worse the wear!  I use them whenever I go out or drive.  Wear is really minimal and they have maintained their elasticity, comfort and looks.  I give em' Five Stars!

****************************************************************************************************

I was at LGS a few months ago with a friend.  I was standing behind him while he began shooting.  I was standing far enough back that I was a little bit in the aisle at the rear of the range.  Suddenly something hit me in the stomach, hard.  I lurched / jumped and for just a split second, I thought I had been shot.  I quickly grabbed my stomach (considerable as it is) and pulled up my shirt.  As I looked down, I saw a piece of metal on the floor, small, maybe a 3/8 of an inch.  I picked it up and it looked
like pot metal.

Actual bit of metal that hit me
My stomach was bleeding, nothing bad, but like a deep pin stick and it was sore.  My buddy (who has a lifetime of experience with guns) said it looked like pot metal... maybe someones gun malfunctioned?  But I just couldn't figure out an angle that would allow me to be hit by flying metal.  With me standing behind my shooter (he was shooting a colt 1911, so it didn't come from his gun) I just couldn't see where it came from.  I checked with shooters on either side of us to see if they had had any problems, but no problems were found.

A few days later I had a deep purple bruise the size of a silver dollar on my belly.

Ah well...

****************************************************************************************************
Order a copy of my new book of humor  "I'm Married... Shoot Me!"  for just $7.70 -The harrowing tales of your average Husband.    Children, insanity and manly cowardice, all wrapped up in love - now available through Lulu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean